Yahoo tonight announced the Yahoo Search Developer’s Network (no link up yet). In short, this is a program to allow developers to build upon the Yahoo Search and Overture platforms (Overture will be rebranded Yahoo Search Marketing Solutions – I was wondering when the Overture name was going to be phased out). This is big Web 2.0/Web as Platform news, and I can’t wait to see what comes of it. From the release:
The Yahoo Search Developer Network features Yahoo! Search APIs which span Web search verticals, search engine marketing and direct advertising products including:
• Web search – leveraging Yahoo! Search Technology
• Image search – the largest image search index on the Web with more than 1.5 billion images
• Video search – providing users with one-click access to any video
• News search – with more than 7,000 news sources
• Local search – the most popular destination online for local information
• Spelling correction – advanced search query spelling correction technology
• Related searches – advanced search query recommendation technology
• Overture – access to its search engine marketing API program
Most APIs provide the developers with access to 5,000 queries per day per API, exceeding current competitive search API offerings.
That last part is a dig at Google, which limits its APIs to 1000 queries, hence there has been no real commercial development on top of the Google search platform. But will 5000 be enough? Not for really scaled innovations. Let’s hope they figure out the model to allow for more….full release in extended entry.
]]> Read More