free html hit counter News: Google Announces Google Reader | John Battelle's Search Blog

News: Google Announces Google Reader

By - October 07, 2005

Googreader

Google is announcing as I type a new feedreader – a first generation one, but full text, which I think is the best approach. It’s not up yet, but it will be shortly, in their Labs section.

Google also announced its work on determining sex of a person using pattern recognition in photos. This is a first step toward ID’ing faces, then searching by face. Cool.

Yahoo, by the way, also showed some cool photo stuff, a flickrstream that shows tags and images by cluster a long a timeline.

Update: It’s live.

12 thoughts on “News: Google Announces Google Reader

1. Matt VB says:

I just accessed the application. Total ripoff of Start.com. The best part, it doesn’t work.

Yes, google is trying to do WAY too much. Stick to search, perfect it and make a killing.

2. Ryan guill says:

Where was it announced?

3. Bud says:

Yet another rip-off launch by Google. It’s super slow, awkward to use, and buggy. Rather unimpressive. I wish Apple did search.

4. Dave says:

I patiently waited for my OPML file to import and while it is painfully slow, once it uploaded the interface looked really slick, IMHO. There’s tons of Ajax, but one feature that looks promising it the ability to add your own tags to blog posts. I’d imagine they’ll have some type of tag aggregation across all users as well – pretty cool.

5. Nicholas says:

I’m with Dave. It’s friggin’ awesome. Sure, it’s slow as hell, but I think I’ve noticed a speed up since I first got on. Anyway, I’ve been wanting a feedreader, but not wanting a new login. This solves that problem perfectly.

6. Marcus says:

Try subscribing to a podcast feed. Google embeds a flash player for the audio. The reader is also a play on iTunes, I do believe.

7. Chris DiBona says:

The speed will improve I’m sure. First day jitters.

8. Adam says:

> I wish Apple did search.

Heh heh, sure! Everything would cost twice as much, you couldn’t search anything except Apple-approved properties, and if you dared criticize Apple on your blog, it’d be removed from the listings and you’d be sued.

9. gary price says:

John,
    The pattern recognition stuff sounds way cool, can’t wait to see it.

Over on SEW Blog, I’ve put together a look at other companies (just a few of many) that are doing similar work in this space. Some demos available.

Included in the overview is a link ( http://digbig.com/4ewyq ) to an image search tool from Freenet.de (its been around for some time). I’ve translated it from German but you can’t run searches from the translated interface. What makes it interesting is that you’re able to limit your search to images that contain a human face. Cool! Another search option allows you to limit to words embedded in the image.

10. gary price says:

John,
    The pattern recognition stuff sounds way cool, can’t wait to see it.

11. No, it is not awesome. It is slow. It wouldn’t import my Bloglines OPML. Adding feeds takes far too many steps and you’re forced to preview them. After you drill down to posts in a feed and you want to go back to your list of feeds, it puts you back at the top of the list, instead of where you left off.

This is not like Gmail, where the differences take some getting used to and prove themselves superior.

I think it just plain sucks.

12. Celia C says:

Check out this new site – http://www.xcavator.net – it just launched. It’s integrated with flickr and does real image search and easily finds similar photos. They’re looking for people to try it and get the word out!