I noticed this item on the “Google Blogoscoped” site, about how MSN Search is hiring. The buzz around the Valley is that MSFT is having a tough time hiring folks to work on their new search initiatives. I’m not sure how true that is, but I do know that many of the best engineers are happily toiling away in pre-IPO heaven, or are happy campers at the newly energized regime over at Yahoo. In any case, what’s interesting about the MSN Search Job Opportunities page is its use of the “Top Ten Reasons to Work In Microsoft Search.” This is a direct rip off of Google’s longstanding page “Top Ten Reasons To Work at Google.” Let’s compare, shall we? They paint remarkably different pictures. ….
1. Work on one of the largest scale computing projects.
2. With 80M+ users worldwide using MSN Search, your contribution makes a difference.
3. A rapidly growing team offers many opportunities.
4. One of a few very successful businesses on the Internet.
5. Work in a challenging work environment.
6. Work in a very competitive landscape.
7. Located in the beautiful Microsoft RedWest Campus.
8. Collaborate with Research and other teams at Microsoft.
9. Learn what people all over the world are looking for on the web.
10. Finally, a job your friends and family will understand.
1. Lend a helping hand. With more than 82 million visitors every month, Google has become an essential part of everyday life—like a good friend—connecting people with the information they need to live great lives.
2. Life is beautiful. Being a part of something that matters and working on products in which you can believe is remarkably fulfilling.
3. Appreciation is the best motivation , so we’ve created a fun and inspiring workspace you’ll be glad to be a part of, including on-site doctor and dentist; massage and yoga; professional development opportunities; on-site day care; shoreline running trails; and plenty of snacks to get you through the day.
4. Work and play are not mutually exclusive. It is possible to code and pass the puck at the same time.
5. We love our employees, and we want them to know it. Google offers a variety of benefits, including a choice of medical programs, company-matched 401(k), stock options, maternity and paternity leave, and much more.
6. Innovation is our bloodline. Even the best technology can be improved. We see endless opportunity to create even more relevant, more useful, and faster products for our users. Google is the technology leader in organizing the world’s information.
7. Good company everywhere you look. Googlers range from former neurosurgeons, CEOs, and U.S. puzzle champions to alligator wrestlers and ex-marines. No matter what their backgrounds Googlers make for interesting cube mates.
8. Uniting the world, one user at a time. People in every country and every language use our products. As such we think, act, and work globally—just our little contribution to making the world a better place.
9. Boldly go where no one has gone before. There are hundreds of challenges yet to solve. Your creative ideas matter here and are worth exploring. You’ll have the opportunity to develop innovative new products that millions of people will find useful.
10. There is such a thing as a free lunch after all. In fact we have them every day: healthy, yummy, and made with love.