free html hit counter What Do You Want to Talk About? | John Battelle's Search Blog

What Do You Want to Talk About?

By - April 23, 2007

Our first ever interactive Web chat is happening this week, and in advance I’d like to ask what you guys want to talk about. The format is mostly questions and answers, and even has the ability to ask the audience surveys. A bunch of you have signed up already, but I’d love to hear from more of you. So in comments, tell me what you’d like to talk about. Ideas:

- What’s the future interface for search?

- Can Yahoo pull even or ahead of Google?

- Will Microsoft buy its way in?

- The Doubleclick deal – good or bad or indifferent?

- Privacy and data use – discuss!

What do you think? Join the conversation by registering here. Thanks!

16 thoughts on “What Do You Want to Talk About?

1. nmw says:

Are all major search engines link-based? Is it time to introduce a new alogrithm for “search”?

2. Perry says:

I was thinking of reversing your title – “conversations as the next interface”…

unfortuntely, I can’t attend, wish I could.

3. komedi says:

thanks for your informations

4. Gen Kanai says:

I’d like to talk about international markets for search and search-related advertising including Japan and China.

5. hamid says:

I think Privacy would be very interesting topic to talk about,especially now that Google has officially released it’s user’s history search.”Can we have some privacy ,please?”

6. Lukas Biewald says:

I wonder what you and others think about why Google continues to grow market share when Yahoo, MSN, and Ask all have basically the same relevance/coverage and have basically the same UI. Are the differences bigger than I think or is it a branding thing? Or is it something completely different?

7. Gay Ludlow says:

I’d like to have some discussion around the state-of-the-art for visual search. It’s supposed to be the ‘holy grail’ it would be interesting to see how far the technology has come.

8. Sahar Sarid says:

How Search impact education, today and in the future?

9. Paul says:

What kinds of content still need to become searchable?

Can Google escape fatal hubris? How?

Should you disclose a financial relationship with Webex, and whether John Battelle approved the user data Webex requires for chat registration?

10. Mario says:

How do you see the future for vertical search engines? Will Google eat their lunch with Google Base?

11. Sahar Sarid says:

What’s next for Search?

12. epictum says:

This is a bit off-topic, going back to your j-prof days, but I’d like to know more about the relationship between the print publication industry (strong-willed, old, conventional) vs. today’s comp sci nerds/bloggers (risk-takers, entrepreneurial, unconventional). We’ve got Yahoo/MySpace, which just launched MySpace News, trying to get the younger generation to read again. Then we’ve got the old newspaper industry with its waning circulation, which is trying all sorts of ways to distribute its online content for increased readership. Is there a clash of personalities here? And what would be the foreseeable future for the news industry/who do you see being the key players?

13. I would certainly like to hear your take on the Yahoo vs. Google item. In the tech world, we seem to think of Google as the inevitable winner, but I think it could go either way.

14. Joe Hunkins | Joe Duck says:

Great idea – looking forward to the online discussion.

Yahoo vs Google. Why are the capitalizations so different for these very similar companies?

Federated media – how has that experienced shaped your view of Google Adsense? Will vertical niche advertising generally yield more than Adsense?

15. nmw says:

Google, Yahoo, Vertical Search > Direct Navigation?

16. fatih says: