free html hit counter New SMB Post: Cultivate That Garden | John Battelle's Search Blog

New SMB Post: Cultivate That Garden

By - April 10, 2009

Over at the HP SMB marketing site, my second post is up. Now, for most of you, this stuff will not be particularly new, but it’s good to recall that just 42% of all SMBs have websites, and most of those are not particularly social in nature. From my post:

Most small business websites are not very good. That means you have a chance to really stand out. And that’s a huge competitive advantage.

At this point you’re probably rolling your eyes and saying “Yeah, right. Now I have to spend thousands of dollars making something that’s just going to break in a few months, and then I’ll have to pay another grand to fix it.”

Not true. With small business and the web, the best way to start is to start small, and start social. Your business is a network of relationships – between vendors, clients, colleagues, and co workers. So instead of worrying about boiling your website ocean, trying simmering the social seas instead.

11 thoughts on “New SMB Post: Cultivate That Garden

1. I recently came accross your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I don’t know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.

2. I have always been a huge believer of the small business website. Comparatively cheaper than traditional marketing it will always bring in some kind of additional traffic. Then there are businesses such as ours which solely web driven where online presence is a must.

3. George Huger says:

I agree wholeheartedly. I’m amazed when a local business allows 3rd party sites to rank first for their business name, simply because they don’t have a real web presence.

Anyone with the savvy to run a business can surely maintain a blog, and as you said so few small businesses are doing so that the ROI is amazing.

4. jaffa jefda says:

The server message block servers make their file systems and other resources available to clients on the network. Client computers may want access to the shared file systems and printers on the server, and in this primary functionality SMB has become best-known and most heavily used. However, the SMB file server aspect would count for little without the NT domains suite of protocols, which provide NT style domain-based authentication at the very least. Thanks a lot.
    Regards,
    admissions essay

5. Anonymous says:

I only ‘d like to state that a fantastic thanks to the
    publisher of this thread.Brilliant thoughts and ways to symbolize the entire
    theme.Wising to get a lot more beneficial programs from your aspect.

Nutrisystem discount code

Nutrisystem coupon

Nutrisystem coupon code

Nutrisystem promo code

discount code for Nutrisystem

6. Anonymous says:

I desired to learn a
    lot more regarding  content,
    nevertheless, not a lot of internet websites probably would help me out in
    enlightening me the best way I wanted. This placed me with several issue, but
    right after looking at your report, I actually got a particular answer to all
    my questions. You are too cool dude!!!

Yoder Auto

Paul Yoder Auto

Sarasota used cars

used cars in Sarasota, FL

7. Anonymous says:

I would like to
    understand even more regarding
    resources, yet not several website pages would assist me in advising
    me the best way I wanted. This placed me with numerous query, on the other
    hand just after checking out your guide, I actually purchased an answer to
    all my inquiries. You are too cool dude!!!

31 day fat loss cure book

the 31 day fat loss cure

31 day fat loss cure

8. Anonymous says:

I would like to
    understand even more regarding
    resources, yet not several website pages would assist me in advising
    me the best way I wanted. This placed me with numerous query, on the other
    hand just after checking out your guide, I actually purchased an answer to
    all my inquiries. You are too cool dude!!!

Junk