free html hit counter Just Too Rich...Google Buys A Paper Mill .... - John Battelle's Search Blog

11 thoughts on “Just Too Rich…Google Buys A Paper Mill ….

1. Curtis says:

Ahhh, the irony.

2. Tomi Itkonen says:

Yeah. The mill is nearby. There’s good infrastructure (stable power, cooling, …) for a datacenter already in place.

I actually checked if it’s April the 1st already. It was a surprise move: an old brick-and-mortar meets a young bits-and-packets.

3. mfed says:

John….chuckled when i saw your item on google and the paper mill. I pitched them this idea a couple of years ago when I was on the Governor of Maine’s economic development board. Plan was to take over the cavernous mills that are all on rivers and have hydro power already in place. They liked the idea but Maine couldn’t get the $ p/KW price where google insisted it needed to be. Evidently the Finns did.

4. Tom Crowl says:

Google Irony!

Poetic Evolution

While Doing No Harm…

(That’s a Haiku for Google)

I think I’ll twitter it!

5. I read in a different report that G is planning to give a portion of the land/facility to the local municipality….which would be a nice gesture.

6. I did not hear a Google project that has not ending with great results. We only wish good luck!

7. Tomi itkonen says:

Programmer Helper, is there an echo in here – or are you a bot, no offense?

8. Artı says:

Google has dozens of data centers, or server farms, which consume significant amounts of energy, around the world.

I think in early 2008 Stora Enso closed down the loss-making Summa mill, which consumed 1,000 gigawatt hours of electricity per year, after nearly 53 years in operation.

The oldest parts of the mill were designed by renowned Finnish architect Alvar Aalto.

Stora Enso and Google have agreed that part of the mill site will be transferred to the city of Hamina for other industrial uses. The sale is expected to close by the end of the first quarter 2009.

9. Txematools says:

There is a first class datacenter in Madrid (more than 8K m2), located in a former paper mill, Interxion. The building is rocket proof and quite appropriate for this kind of facility.

10. It happens in India also. People buy old paper mills and use the land for other purposes

11. Bertil Hatt says:

I’m wondering: has Google been thinking to use the warm water for public use?