free html hit counter First Voice Post: Thoughts on Web 2, Google and Auction Game Theory | John Battelle's Search Blog

First Voice Post: Thoughts on Web 2, Google and Auction Game Theory

By - July 24, 2007

HP is sponsoring the technology to make it possible for FM authors to post by voice. This is very cool given my hand situation. Thanks HP!

Here’s the post:

16 thoughts on “First Voice Post: Thoughts on Web 2, Google and Auction Game Theory

1. Hashem Bajwa says:

Good to hear your voice John. I hope voice posts become something useful to people, another choice in their array of content options. Thanks.

2. Joe says:

The voice post was great. As well as the ability to add links like you suggested, the ability to have content-relevant adverts would also be cool.

3. SorenG says:

Came through crystal clear to me. Though this way must be hard to edit, and make a clean announcement. But my guess is with practice, one may be able to do voice as fast as writing.

4. dan says:

like vlogs, audio posts arent very easy for me to read consume on the go… or to read consume at work… etc. I like to read because i can get the info in a short timeframe at my own pace. *sigh*

5. Raine says:

I like the idea of having the personal touch of someone’s voice. V. cool.

6. Matt Mcfalling says:

Hey John,

Awesome idea, and really enjoy listening to your lastest blog!

That was a lot of fun, and great information. This is a great idea and could or would you call this a vlog?

Just wondering

Matt Mcfalling

7. Ashley says:

Hello John,

As much as I’m glad to find that you are not leaving your readers/audience until your disability is cured, I find voice posts rather inaccessible. For example, one can’t get an overall idea of the post by glancing across a paragraph or two, can’t post links/images/videos as you mentioned, etc.

I would suggest speech recognition to solve this dilemma to an extent, even though linking or posting images/videos would still require you to type the url in..

Ashley.

8. ariel seidman says:

enjoy the voice post — keep em’ coming.
    why you ask? — multitasking.

9. Janarthan says:

I have been following your blog for some time now. Voice posting is a first (Is it?) and it is cool. Well done John and well done HP.

10. Abhishek Tiwari says:

John,

Can you please configure this post to show up as a podcast?
    So I can use my netvibes directly to play this or ofcourse download it to iTunes.

Thanks,
    Abhishek

By the way read my Google post here:

11. Mike says:

awesome. i can play this in the background while still achieving some work. how about another post on your facebook blurb? it’s at 48 comments! would love to hear some updates/thoughts.

12. Suresh says:

Thank you John.
    Simple and nice Voice Posting. Love to hear from you more. I do once in a while do a video and audio podcast about cooking, Just for fun
    Suresh

13. paul canning says:

noticed that the voice post is postable elsewhere – tried it and it works but not publishing – and assuming I couldn’t as it’s sponsored by HP. does the creative commons license cover that?

great to hear you, sounds like a very practical idea as well. only comments would be that it’ll get more polished ;] you ‘erm’ a lot and your top-n-tail could be better.

all the best

14. Ben says:

Do you have to have an HP phone to do this sort of voice-posting on a blog?

I don’t like the look of their handsets much and wondered if I could do the same with a Nokia or something?

It’s a great way to add a personal touch to a blog though – I’d been wondering what all this HP ‘personal again’ stuff was about. Is it just a line or is it about features in their technology?

15. mark davey says:

If you are going to be doing a lot of voice posts I guess you will need an Edirol R-09 (By Roalnd) 24 bit wave /MP3 recorder with built in stereo mics. It runs on AA batteries and uses usb 2.0 It is a tough bit of kit. Available from http://www.calumetphoto.com or .co.uk where I work of course!

16. gazeteler says:

That is a great news. Thanks