free html hit counter What A Day To Be Offline | John Battelle's Search Blog

What A Day To Be Offline

By - October 12, 2005

Rumors of Google investing, with Comcast no less, in AOL. I think it’s not a great idea, but more on that initial reaction later.

Also, MSFT and Yahoo partner on IM, can you say Reaction to Google Talk?

And, Google puts wood behind the arrow of Google’s foundation. A billion or so…

7 thoughts on “What A Day To Be Offline

1. Ryan Merket says:

Don’t forget the video ipod ;)

2. Jonny says:

Reaction to Google Talk? Yahoo already acquired Dialpad. Perhaps a reaction to Google (and other’s) overall telecom ambitions. Hmmm, will MSN/Yahoo take on AOL, or partner?

3. Ed says:

“can you say Reaction to Google Talk?”
    Actually, I think it’s a reaction to Aol’s market share in this space.

4. Fred J says:

Give me a break, please. Reaction to Google Talk? No one is using Google Talk! Do you really think MSN and Yahoo! just cooked this deal up since the launch of Talk? Think it might have taken a little longer to negotiate?

5. MikeM says:

Google talk? Whatever, it sits on my desktop and I have never used it and don’t even know who I would talk to.
    I just stare at it wondering why I have it there. A monument to too much stuff on the desktop really.

On the GOOG/Comcast/AOL impending pact, what the hell is Gates thinking these days? If he lets this opportunity to grab the AOL traffic/ads go he is conceding he will never be among the top two search companies.
    Maybe he is too old to battle any longer.

6. Dave says:

I agree!

7. I don’t know whether Google wasn’t late with this idea, he already has the big event.