free html hit counter base.google.com (Or...All Your Base Are Belong To Google) | John Battelle's Search Blog

base.google.com (Or…All Your Base Are Belong To Google)

By - October 25, 2005

55908013 C00F7A76B9Word is ripping around the web that Google is testing a new subdomain called base.google.com. A screen shot – the site has been up and down – shows a Google database of sorts where you can “Post your items on Google.” It’s a tagged database of stuff that heads directly into the world of Paul Ford’s classic “Google Takes All” essay.

Apparently this will be debuted at Google’s invite only Zeitgeist conference today. Philipp has more.

23 thoughts on “base.google.com (Or…All Your Base Are Belong To Google)

1. jambo says:

Similar to backpack (37signals.com)?

2. MikeM says:

A magnified Craigslist in the making?

3. N. Godbout says:

I don’t notice anywhere that it says “BETA” on that screenshot. Must be a fake!

All Your Base Are Belong To Google (TM)

4. Atul Arora says:

I think Google Base is really Googl eBays. From the screens I saw last night when it was briefly live, it seemed like a competitor to eBay/Craiglist….

5. Gopi says:

This is very very interesting…If executed well this can be become really *BIG*

6. Gopi says:

This is very very interesting…If executed well this can be become really *BIG*

7. Atul says:

Seems to live again….

8. Reason says:

It’s live now (13:15 CT Tuesday) — if you’re signed into your Google personalized home page. Once signed in, go to base.google.com and it’s there, although the FAQ and some links are dead, the content-adding section is working. Seems to be a generalized way to post articles, ads, calendars, etc. Not sure exactly what it’s for yet.

9. Dave Goodman says:

I think the database could be another incredible web resource, but will suffer the same problem web pages have: no standard of knowledge representation to make the data reliable and locatable.

As you said at Book Passage last night, there are too many ways to tag things. We need a common ontology. We also need domains attached to each fact. What’s true in the US may not be true in China, and what’s true in a movie may not be true in real life. Each fact needs a context.

Speaking of Book Passage, did you get my email? I have a pic from last night if you’re interested.

10. Dave Goodman says:

One more thought. I wonder if the database is based on BigTable. An interesting step would be to have a scraper that finds facts from authoritative sources and adds them to the database. It would be nice to have a checker that looks for conflicting facts and tries to resolve them. But I’m getting too far ahead. It’s not even out yet. :)

11. leolee says:

I think google’s intention is to build a online personal “trash bin”, which enables people to make every tiny things in your live searchable.

It’s some mybase -like(a personal information assistant software) produce ,and , obviously it could be developed to a online categoriesed ads center.

12. Paul says:

Error 403. *sad*

13. Bruno says:

Most likely it’s a semantic web (in a bottom-up power-to-the-people sense) schema creation tool, with the individual benefit of getting personal structure on the web. Or better said: Ning or dabble for non-technical users.

One huge benefit for Google: They don’t have to engineer (by hand or sophisticated algorithms) complicated Ontologies or ‘Topic Maps’, because it’s being done by their users. Meaning Google will be able to know if a webpage is about books, or technology or certain product aspects and so on, without needing any metadata.

So Robert Scoble will get his Search 3.0 sooner…

14. Bruno says:

Most likely it’s a semantic web (in a bottom-up power-to-the-people sense) schema creation tool, with the individual benefit of getting personal structure on the web, as opposed to standardized Tools. Or better said: Ning or dabble for non-technical users.

So Robert Scoble will get his Search 3.0 sooner…

15. Tim says:

This is exciting. It sound like a Ning competitor to me, except without the front end:

Google’s approach seems smarter to me. Ning would do well to brand their back end content store separately from the app creation side. But it sounds like Ning has a good model for interaction between different people’s data.

16. Amish Shah says:

As an affiliate marketer – this will really take away from from my eBay commission business. Why? There are thousands of people like myself who target certain keywords using Google Adwords and make commission by linking to eBay to make a commission. Now I have a feeling those ads will be replaced with the Google Base Ads.

This can be an interesting turn – perhaps Google will have some affiliate program?!

I started a new forum where we can all discuss Google Base. I hope that you all join me in this!

17. Tom Foremski says:

Google Base is an attempt by Google to become a content company and have the content contributed for free–in exchange for the index to that content (and other content).

It values the index over the content. imho.

18. Jim Court says:

How can I speak to Salar Kamangar ?(Google) I have an idea that will revolutionize marketing and could be a huge revenue stream. Please call me @708-367-7253 or e-mail me @ idealist2@aol.com. Thank you

Jim Court

19. bill furlong says:

I recently spoke at the American Business Media’s Top Management meeting on vertical search, and lo and behold, Google is now itself appearing in print, courtesy of a custom published guide on how to use Google. It was on the newstand at LaGuardia in all its color and glory!
    interesting turn to see this medium utilized. It was published by a firm called Sandhill Publishing.

20. This blog posting was of great use in learning new information and also in exchanging our views. Thank you.
    Mary Anne Martin

21. Tims says:

22. Gordons says:

23. Hobbynutte says:

This blog helps me a lot for Google algorithms and results. Thank you