Yahoo announced a “new suite of services for the mobile user” today. More details, head here.
Release is in extended entry.
Yahoo! Search Goes Mobile
to Help Consumers Find Local Information, Images and Resources Whenever and Wherever They Want
Yahoo! is Combining its Leading Search Technology and Mobile Internet Expertise
to Deliver a Unique Search Solution for Consumers on the Go
San Francisco, CA – October 27, 2004 – Yahoo! Inc. (Nasdaq: YHOO), a leading global Internet company, announced the debut of a new suite of search services for mobile users at the CTIA conference today. As part of Yahoo!’s commitment to extending its leading services beyond the desktop, this new search offering enables mobile consumers to search for local information, images and Web resources on mobile devices. The service launches today on Yahoo!’s wireless Internet portal on several major carriers across the United States.
“The launch of Yahoo! Search for Mobile is a crucial step in providing consumers with a new and powerful point of access to our search products,” said Dan Rosensweig, chief operating officer for Yahoo! Inc. “With the launch of Yahoo! Search for Mobile devices, we’ve taken our expertise in providing mobile Internet services and our Yahoo! Search Technology, and combined that with our understanding of consumer’s wants and needs. We are empowering consumers to get what they want, how they want it, when they want it and where they want it.”
Take Yahoo! Search with You
Yahoo! Search (search.yahoo.com) has created a new mobile Web search experience for consumers, on multiple devices and across multiple networks, that is easy to use, and presented in a full-color, graphical way. Yahoo! Search now brings relevant, comprehensive and useful information to the mobile environment for consumers on the go. Consumers can get started using the service on a data-enabled mobile device by going to Yahoo!’s Mobile Internet site or simply typing in mobile.yahoo.com. For more information on carrier and device availability from the desktop go to http://mobile.yahoo.com. Key features of the new mobile search include:
▪ Local information about businesses across the country – from the Web’s the No. 1 destination for people looking for local information online
▪ Everything from restaurants to dry cleaners – including business name, address, phone number and a full-color map with driving directions.
▪ Access to saved and recently used locations from desktop and ability to directly place a call from the search results page
▪ Professional and community generated ratings
Yahoo! Image search
▪ Search for and view thumbnails of more than one billion images
Yahoo! Web search
▪ Access to relevant and comprehensive search results powered by Yahoo! Search Technology (available only on html capable mobile devices)
▪ “Search Shortcuts” that enable quick access to information, including weather, stock quotes, sport scores, flight information and more. For example, consumers can search for the latest score on a baseball game by typing in a team name and the word score, and the first result will be an updated score of the current game along with the time left in the game.
Extending Yahoo! Beyond the Desktop
Through Yahoo! Mobile, Yahoo! focuses on extending key Yahoo! services beyond the desktop, providing an integrated PC-to-Mobile experience and making the most of the mobile environment. As the number of mobile consumers continues to grow rapidly, Yahoo! Mobile has rolled out mobile extensions of key services in the past year such as Yahoo! Messenger and Yahoo! Photos, across multiple carriers. Yahoo! continues to improve and innovate on its offerings for mobile consumers and works closely with the major mobile carrier partners to deliver these to the widest possible audience.
“Yahoo! is committed to partnering with carriers to give consumers the most robust and integrated Internet services across mobile devices,” said Doug Garland, senior vice president, Yahoo! Mobile. “By bringing together our strong consumer relationships and knowledge with our deep experience in successfully developing mobile services that integrate the desktop experience we have built truly differentiated and relevant mobile search experience.”
Yahoo! Inc. is a leading provider of comprehensive online products and services to consumers and businesses worldwide. Yahoo! is the No. 1 Internet brand globally and the most trafficked Internet destination worldwide. Headquartered in Sunnyvale, Calif., Yahoo!’s global network includes 25 world properties and is available in 13 languages.
# # #
Yahoo! and the Yahoo! logo are trademarks and/or registered trademarks of Yahoo! Inc.
All other names are trademarks and/or registered trademarks of their respective owners
Nicole Leverich, 408-349-5583
Fleishman-Hillard for Yahoo! Inc.
Tara Kirchner, 415-318-4121